|Besan Ke Laddu|
Besan is flour of Horse Gram pulse from which its brown cover has been removed (Chana Dal). Chana being very rich in protein and dietary fibers is very good for nutrition. When laddu are made from besan, addition of ghee, sugar, nuts make it almost a complete food though rich in fat. But then why not eat sweet which satiates the sweet tooth as well is nutritious also. I remember the time when I used to walk 5 km. to my college from my home in Almora, India, my mom used to keep 2 laddus in my lunch box so that I get all energy I needed from healthy source and get all nutrition also.
Besan laddu started making their regular appearance in my home because my kids loved these homemade besan ke laddu. Now they have their own family and thrive to learn to make all they used to eat and loved when they were young. Now also before first batch of laddu finish second batch is made by me because I also love them very much.
Preparation Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 90 min
Servings: 50 medium sizes Laddu
Ingredients Required For Making Besan Ke Laddu:
- 500 gm. Besan
- 500 gm Bura / Sugar
- 10-15 Green Cardamom
- 15-20 Almonds
- 100 gm. dry coconut
- 350-400 gm. Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Direction for Making Besan Ke Laddu:
- Peel cardamom and coarsely powder the seeds and keep covered aside.
- Make bura and keep aside.
- Cut almonds and keep aside.
- Take besan in a thick bottom wok and keep the wok on gas on low flame.
|Besan Being Roasted in Thick Bottom Wok|
|After 10 min. of roasting Besan on low flame|
- Roast the besan on low flame till it changes the color to light pink brown, with continuous stirring. (roughly 30-35 min.)
|After 35 min. of roasting the Besan on low flame|
- Wonderful smell will start coming when the besan is roasted.
- Add ghee to the roasted besan and cook on low flame for 15 min. with continuous stirring and turning the mixture upside down.
|Ghee added to roasted Besan|
|Besan and Ghee mixed nicely|
- The color of besan and ghee mixture will become darker after 15 min. of cooking on low flame with continuous stirring.
|Besan cooked with Ghee for 15 min. on low flame|
- Switch off the gas and add Bura (sugar heated and then powdered), grated coconut, finely cut almonds and cardamom powder.
|Bura,Almonds,Cardamom powder and grated coconut added to Besan and Ghee mixture|
- Mix nicely to make a homogenous, smooth mixture.
|All ingredients mixed to make uniform, homogenous mixture|
- Let it cool enough to a temperature so that you can hold the mixture in your palm.
- Take little amount of mixture in your palm and bind it nicely to make a ball.
- Keep the balls in a plate at a distance of 1-2 mm. apart till they cool to room temperature.
- Store these laddus in air tight container, in dry place.
- These Laddus can be stored for a month also that is if they are not polished off by your family before that.
- Never use high flame at any stage of cooking while making Besan ke laddu.
- Always take thick bottom wok.
- Do not allow the mixture to cool completely while making laddu from cooked besan mixture.
- If the mixture becomes cold warm it little, but do not heat too much else sugar will melt and caramelize.
- Always make bura in advance and keep in an airtight container.
- Raisins, Pistachios, cashew nut can be added to the mixture along with almonds.
- If you do not want to make bura powdered sugar can be added but it surely changes the taste and texture of Laddu.
- Chana dal can be roasted and then made to Besan this will reduce the roasting time and work while making Laddu.
- You can roll the Laddu in powdered sugar / Bura / desiccated coconut.
|Besan Laddu rolled in Bura (Dry sugar) powder|