|Sev-Bhaji with rice|
When summer season is at peak and either vegetables are very expensive or your and your family’s favorite vegetable is not available then it becomes a herculean task to make a meal which will make everybody happy. Well not to worry here comes the recipe for Sev bhaji, a tangy, spicy vegetable with a hint of sweetness which all of you will surely love. The different delicate flavors which come out are amazing. Easy to make and absolutely a winner, so make it and serve with rice, pav, roti or bread. When I make it my family and friends like to have pav with it, because it is easy to polish off the last bit of it with pav.
Preparation Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
Servings: 6 Large servings
Ingredients Required For Making Sev Bhaji:
- 2 Medium size Onions
- 8-10 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 cm Piece of Ginger
- 2 Medium size Tomatoes
- 3-4 Whole Green Chilies
- 3 Tea spoon Besan
- 4 Tea spoon Thick Curd
- 100 gm. Besan ki Sev
- 2-3 Sprigs of fresh Coriander leaves
|Fresh Coriander leaves|
- 1 Tea spoon Garam Masala
- 1 Tea spoon Red chili Powder
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 Tea spoons Cumin seeds
- Salt to Taste
- 2 ml. Ghee / Olive oil/ any cooking oil
Directions For Making Sev Bhaji:
- Cut onions to small pieces.
- Cut garlic.
- Grate ginger.
- Wash, clean and drain the coriander sprigs and cut very fine.
- Cut tomatoes.
Beat curd and besan to make homogenous paste.
|san and water beaten and made to thin paste|
- Take a thick bottom pan and add 1 ml.of ghee / oil in it and heat on high flame.
- When hot add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds splutter add cut onions and cook on low flame till they are golden brown.
- Add Garlic and ginger and cook till garlic becomes golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they become soft and the mixture starts leaving the edges of the pan.
- Take out the cooked mixture and allow it to cool.
Make paste of cooked mixture in the grinder /mixture.
|Gravy of Onion,Garlic,Ginger and Tomato|
- Heat 1 ml. Ghee /oil in a wok and add 2 bay leaves and 2-3 cloves.
- When the cloves splutter add the paste of cooked mixture and stir.
- Add 100 ml. water. Cover and cook for 2-3 min.
|Paste of cooked onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes being cooked with water|
- Add the paste of besan and curd with continuous mixing to avoid formation of lumps.
|Besan paste added to gravy of onion|
- Cook till it starts boiling.
- Chili powder
- Garam masala
- Mix and cook for 1 min.
|Thick gravy before water is added|
- Add 250 ml. water and mix nicely.
|Water added to thin down the consistency of gravy|
- Cook for 10 min. The gravy should become of pouring consistency.
|Gravy ready for green chilies and tomato sauce to be added|
- Add 3-4 whole green chilies.
|Whole Green Chilies added to thinned down gravy|
Add 2 tea spoons of tomato sauce.
|Tomato sauce being added to gravy|
- Cook for 2 min.
Mix and remove from gas.
|Gravy ready to be taken out in serving bowl|
Take out the gravy in a serving bowl.
|Tangy,spicy gravy of sev bhaji|
While serving take the gravy in a bowl, add 3-4 heaped tea spoon crisp besan ki Sev.
|Gravy in the bowl|
|Besan sev added to Gravy|
|Sev-Bhaji dressed with Coriander leaves|
Garnish it with finely cut coriander and serve hot Sev bhaji with rice / pav / bread.
|Sev Bhaji with rice and Green chili|
|Rice with Sev Bhaji,Curd and Green Chili|
- Add Sev to the gravy just at the time of serving otherwise it will become soggy and spoil the taste and fun of eating crunchy Sev in hot, tangy gravy.
- Bikaneri spicy Sev is best for this bhaji.
- Do not let onions to become dark brown.
- Sprouts can be added to the gravy at the time of adding green chilies.
- Seasoning of curry leaves can be given to the prepared gravy to add extra flavor.
- Finely cut onions and tomatoes can be added while garnishing this will not only add color to the bhaji but also add crunchiness.